Acura Chronicles the Road Leading to the All-New 2022 MDXSales Mar 29th, 2021
New video, “Origin Story,” features the words of key players behind iconic moments in Acura brand history leading to the all-new Acura flagship, the 2022 MDX
Next phase of MDX launch campaign highlights Acura’s performance heritage and challenger spirit and will run across Acura social channels this spring
TORRANCE, Calif., MAR. 29, 2021— Acura has introduced “Origin Story” (http://acura.us/originstory), a new video highlighting Acura’s performance heritage as inspiration to the development of the all-new Acura flagship, the 2022 MDX 3-row SUV. “Origin Story” is debuting across the brand’s social channels as the next phase of Acura’s 2022 MDX launch campaign and as Acura marks its 35th anniversary.
“Origin Story” reflects on Acura’s history as a challenger brand rooted in performance, along with its motorsports success on the track, and how that experience influences the brand’s on-road products. Built around the perspectives of Acura engineers and executives, past and present, the video demonstrates how that heritage played a key role across four generations of MDX.
Acura’s “Origin Storytellers”:
- Frank Paluch: Executive Vice President, Honda of America Mfg., Inc. Paluch served in a key development role for the innovative first-gen MDX, the first-ever uni-body 3-row SUV and North American Car of the Year, and was the Development Leader of the second-gen MDX. He also is a former president of Honda R&D Americas, Inc.
- Art St. Cyr: Vice President, Auto Operations, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. St. Cyr also played a key role in the development of the first-gen MDX, later serving as President of Honda Performance Development in a role critical to Acura’s return to motorsports success.
- Jon Ikeda: Vice President and Acura Brand Officer. Ikeda has led the brand’s return to its Precision Crafted Performance roots, drawing on all the fun he’s had creating vehicles with his Acura teammates. This includes his role as Design Project Leader of 2004 Acura TL, the best-selling Acura sedan of all-time.
- Jason Widmer: Chief Engineer, Honda R&D Americas, LLC. Widmer currently serves as Chief Engineer over Dynamic Performance. He was part of the first-gen MDX development team with a critical focus on off-road and towing capability, and was the Dynamic Evaluator for the second-gen MDX. Widmer also played a critical role in the development of the second-gen NSX and its performance capability as the supercar’s Performance Development Leader.
- Dave Marek: Acura Executive Creative Director, Honda R&D Americas, LLC. Marek has led the return of Acura design to a sharp focus on performance – fulfilling the Precision Crafted Performance brand direction. Marek led the design of the very first Acura vehicle to be created in America (Acura CL Coupe), 25 years ago.
- Erik Berkman: Former President, Honda R&D Americas, LLC and Honda Performance Development. Berkman was the Development Leader behind several iconic Acura models – including the 2004 TL, and a leader of the very first Acura Type S performance models.
- Adam Saruwatari: Import Drag Racing Circuit Champion. Saruwatari looks back at Acura as part of the foundation in the import tuner crowd. Saruwatari, an import drag racing legend, is known for tuning and drag racing the first-generation Acura NSX.
“Origin Story” Campaign Details
“Origin Story” highlights key performance stories in Acura history, such as the fact that the 2022 MDX engine shares some 400 components with the engine that powered Team Acura’s championship winning ARX-05 racecar. The video also highlights Acura’s decision to equip the MDX with its first-ever double-wishbone suspension as a commitment to performance and the Type S performance variant joining the MDX lineup later this year.
“Origin Story” incorporates a series of social videos including the two-minute video and a variety of :15 and :30 second versions that underscore Acura’s history of performance and the brand’s determination in challenging the status quo. The campaign will be featured on Acura social media platforms including Instagram in-feed, IGTV and YouTube.
About Acura Canada
Acura is the luxury-performance division of Honda Canada Inc. and is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance, an original approach to technology and design that creates a new driving experience. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models – the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, and the Acura MDX seven-passenger luxury SUV. Acura launched its next-generation, electrified NSX supercar as a new and pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance. Acura celebrated its 30th anniversary in Canada in February 2017 and has grown to include over 50 locations in its dealer network across the country. For more information, please visit www.acura.ca.